Notes and Notices

On art, architecture and design

9/10/2013

Sans Transporter

Posted by Carren Jao Pineda |

Despite the evolution of technology, we STILL don't have a transporter, but that might be a blessing in disguise after all. Without a transporter, we can use our own two feet to move us from point A to point B. In between could lie magic.

A few weeks ago, I found myself walking from Madison Square Park in New York City to Union Square, a path that could easily be traversed using the diagonally oriented Broadway. As I walked further into Broadway, stone buildings gradually crowded around me, completely obscuring my view of any glassy skyscraper. For a moment, I felt like I was in Europe.



Mansard roofs rose above me (not too high as to compete with the sky). In between, dormer windows punctuated the rooftops. On the street, shopfront after shopfront called for attention. That's the beauty of walking, you finally have time to appreciate a boulevard's subtle changes.



Apparently, mansard roofs were in vogue in New York during the late 1800s. Read this New York Times article on it



0 comments:

Get updates via RSS