Notes and Notices

On art, architecture and design

7/12/2013

Culver City's gallery row

Posted by Carren Jao Pineda |

I cannot recommend walking in your neighborhood enough, but if you can manage it, I'd also suggest taking a friend along. A week ago, I and artist Audrey Chan explored a bit of Culver City starting with a Mary Reid Kelley's exhibition at Susanne Vielmetter Los Angeles Projects.


I found Kelley's work a long, labored love affair that starts as a script and ends with making a whole world. Kelley begins her work by penning a nuanced script that borrows heavily from mythology, French Revolution and modern day angst (as far as I can make out). Then, she creates costumes for each character in her script, videotapes the story and paints outtakes from the video. Kelley's works are wordplay fleshed out. They are meaty, controversial and worth long lingering looks and playbacks. 

A character done in ink wash by Mary Reid Kelley. 
Our walk down Washington Boulevard also led us inside Koplin Del Rio, who latest exhibition, "Artifex" concentrates on the work of Chicano artists. I loved seeing the works of Harry Gamboa, Shizu Saldamando, Einar and Jamex de la Torre and John Valadez all together. I had encountered each of their art in different contexts while living in Los Angeles. The show seemed to coalesce those different times in my life in one space. 

Einar and Jamex de la Torre’s lenicular works
These three guys at the Koplin Gallery were the cutest.
It was the gallery outdoors that caught my eye too. Not only does Culver seem to have a vibrant collection of galleries, it fostered the creative energy that seeps right into the walls. Every few buildings, Audrey and I would come across a beautiful mural. It was serendipity. 

EK Valley's prismatic mural is my favorite of the day!
Is it cracks on the wall or art? 
Angry Birds mash-up
It was a day of discovery and it made me realize, walking is a chance for...well...chance. It is the break (brake?) that allows us to slow down, take note of something different and ask new questions. 


0 comments:

Get updates via RSS