Notes and Notices

On art, architecture and design

11/16/2012

Holi in Slow Motion

Posted by Carren Jao Pineda |

It's just Friday, but I feel like it's already the weekend! It must be Thanksgiving holiday cheer sneaking up on me.

In celebration, I just stumbled across a beautiful short of Holi, the Hindu festival of color where thousands of revelers throw scented powder and perfume at each other. I've always wanted to experience this; in fact, it's on my haphazardly kept bucket list. I have no idea how, but one day, someday soon I hope I will get to see all the tumult and experience the childlike pleasure of it all :)


The short was created by a New York-based production company and creative collective, Variable. The team went down to India with a borrowed Phantom Flex High Speed Digital Camera and captured all the euphoric craziness in slow motion.

Every particle was captured in-camera, no additions were made post-production. Oh, and if you're wondering, the kept that camera lens clean by creating a custom glass lens filter that they could swap  out quickly, if needed. "We also used a dust cover and lots of garbage bags to protect the camera. Let's just say there were a few close calls...," writes Variable in response to a comment.

h/t The Fox is Black

0 comments:

Get updates via RSS