Notes and Notices

On art, architecture and design

1/17/2012

Thai Spice

Posted by Carren Jao Pineda |

My friends and I have just gotten back from different parts of Asia, so many of us found ourselves with a bit of a flavor withdrawal. More often than not, Asian restaurants find themselves holding back when it comes to spice to cater to a more general market. Not Lum Ka Naad.

Their menu proudly proclaims, "Real Thai food outside Thailand." We tested their claim with a weekend trip up to Northridge. (It's a bonus that they settled in the Valley! At least for me.)


Lum Ka Naad isn't the usual hole in the wall you'd expect to get flavorful dishes. It's a full-blown restaurant complete with a sleek dark wood interior that flows from the street out to the wide parking lot behind. If one were the curious type, you can see the cooks busily spicing each dish through the large window right by the entrance.

The restaurant prides itself in offering regional Thai dishes. Indeed, my eyes glazed over with so many varieties, not just the regular Pad Thai. After a litany of dishes, the back area is reserved for Northern and Southern specialties.

We contented ourselves with chicken satay (a safe appetizer). Our taste buds were tested when we got to the seafood Tom Young Goong, which started mild and gradually upped the ante on spice with every slurp. By the end of it, I found myself halfway through my Thai iced tea and glass of water.


My Khao Soi was a nice change from all the spice. It looked like a curry dish with its yellow consistency, but instead of spice, it was actually sweet. The deep-fried egg noodles and chicken drumstick swum in yellow sauce, which I sprinkled pickled cabbage, lime and bit of chili. Believe me, my young was thanking me. The same goes for the Pad Key Mao, a sweet respite from the spiciness.


The often-Yelped Honey Ribs wasn't really much to write home about. It could be a nice safe dish that most people would have, but it's not something I'd drive to Northridge for. It was everything else I was after.

Lum Ka Naad

8910 Reseda Blvd
Northridge, CA 91324
(818) 882-3028

0 comments:

Get updates via RSS