Notes and Notices

On art, architecture and design

10/15/2011

Space Invaded!

Posted by Carren Jao Pineda |

Gargantuan pixels are roaming downtown Culver City. If you haven't yet seen Jason Torchinsky's Invaded!, large-scale wooden Space Invaders, you'd better check them out. The invaders are part of a temporary public installation created through IndieCade, the largest stand-alone independent games festival around.

"They’re what I imagined happened after every Space Invaders game I played ended — the few remaining invaders make it to the surface and then, you know, hang around. In victory," says Jason in a post on Make about Invaded!'s construction. That's an awesome way to look at it, I think.

They may not be the most original of concepts but I tend to agree with a friend who commented that this installation may not be the most original, but it could very well be the most appropriate.



Yes, I have to admit, I found joy in seeing those installations and I didn't care if someone in the world is pasting Invaders on some wall somewhere. Kids were rolling around the structures and the kids at heart were taking pictures alongside it too. For my part, I resisted the urge to try and climb the pixelated installation. It took a lot of willpower, I tell you.



See more great photos of Space Invader on LA, I'm Yours. Read how Jason made a childhood game come to life over at Make.

0 comments:

Get updates via RSS