Notes and Notices

On art, architecture and design

10/27/2011

Seeing Blue: LA's Byzantine Latino Quarter

Posted by Carren Jao Pineda |

After being in Los Angeles for a whopping 1.5 years, I thought I had seen (or at least heard) about pretty much anything. Ah, hubris.

Last weekend, I went to Pico-Union, a part of Los Angeles that mixed two cultures hardly ever put together--Greek and Mexican. I saw blue everywhere. I've always loved the color combination and I've always thought this Grecian color motif was inspired by the country's beautiful sea and shoreline. I had seen many a blue-domed white home in pictures, but had never seen so much of the motif infused in my surroundings.

This Greek feel was overlaid by a Latino flavor, as shoppers would come into the 63-year old Papa Cristo's shop and ask for their purchases in fluent Spanish. Some servers also responded in Spanish. What a wonderful juxtaposition of cultures!

It's not every day that you go to a new part of town.
Papa Cristo's has been serving Greek/Arabic food since 1948.


I wonder what Zeus smells like?
Blue, blue, everywhere blue.
Even the wine caps are proud to be Greek.
Learn more about the Byzantine-Latino Quarter on this UCLA site. While you do that, I'll enjoy some of my dolmades. Opa!

0 comments:

Get updates via RSS