Notes and Notices

On art, architecture and design

10/21/2011

Reading Now

Posted by Carren Jao Pineda |

Nothing beats going to the library, picking up a book only to find that all your holds actually came through that same day. I went to my local library and found not just one book, but three. Here's what on my list right now.


Made by Hand by Mark Frauenfelder
I first heard about this book from the wonderful DIY couple, Erik Knutzen and Kelly Coyne. While probing them about their urban homesteading lifestyle and admiring their wonderful philosophy on life, they introduced me to the concept of having the "courage to fail," the true Maker's Mark (no, I don't mean the alcoholic kind).

In his book, Frauenfelder takes readers into a journey to self-reliance. He dispenses with the usual noble goals of environmentalism, but instead appeals to the more human, relate-able sensation of find satisfaction in the fruits of your labor. I haven't finished reading the book yet, but his exploits are silently egging me to embark on the many what-if projects I've been meaning to do.

An Eamers Primer by Eames Demetrios
One can't get away from the name Eames for long in design. My own brushes with Eames started with a visit to the Herman Miller showroom, then LACMA's California Design exhibition, and eventually a visit to the Eames House itself.

I had the great fortune to meet the Eameses' grandchildren and what little they shared of the Eames philosophy resonated so much that it convinced me I needed to find out more about this couple's design philosophy. I could think of no better way than to check out a book written by Eames Demetrios, grandson of Charles and Ray and coincidentally one of the two lovely descendants I met while visiting the Eames house.

The 100 Best Vacations to Enrich Your Life by Pam Grout
I'm planning a honeymoon right now, but I don't want it to be a simple romantic romp across the world. I wanted to experience a new way of life or, at the very least, do something that will stay with me throughout mine and my husband's. Grout's book seems to be a good place to start. It offers suggestions like making fire pottery in a Laotian village or riding zip lines through a jungle of singing gibbons. Hey, I'm staring a new life as someone's wife, I think it's a wonderful to celebrate by taking a tandem leap at the world together with my new husband.

Have you checked out your library? What's on your reading list?

0 comments:

Get updates via RSS