Notes and Notices

On art, architecture and design

8/23/2011

Get lit(erary)! Cheap this Fri

Posted by Carren Jao Pineda |

I troll through hundreds of articles on my RSS reader every day, but I'm not quite sure how much I get out of it.


I'm probably like most of you, reading without fully comprehending. I skim through short, SEO-friendly headlines waiting for a particularly attention-grabbing few words or beautiful photos to stop me in my tracks. Like Sam over at The Architect's Newspaper, I personally know how blogs can "fetishize the image" and often lack the deep reporting that are the hallmarks of great journalism.




Despite often being overwhelmed, I love keeping up with my blogs, but I need a break too. That's when I pick up a book (or books), a magazine, or on special occasions a quarterly reader like Slake. In defiance of conventional wisdom that print is dead, former LA Weekly editors Laurie Ochoa and Joe Donnelly put up the publication...to LA's delight.


Ochoa and Donnelly at Stories via Slake Media Facebook.


Slake's first two issues spent weeks on the Los Angeles Times best-seller list and I probably won't be sticking my neck out to say its third issue will be the same. Slake's released some great excerpts from its issues, but given my fascination for transportation lately, I was tantalized by Hillel Aron's piece, "The Last Freeway," recounting the 105's birth and legacy (read a snippet here and you'll see what I mean).




To mark their third issue, Slake LA is holding a celebration in their new home at Atwater Crossing (the same great complex where Iconathon LA was held). Get a feel for LA's literary scene with readings, art, food and drink just for $5 (advance admission) and $8 (on-the-day admission).


Aside from great writing, you can look forward to some tummy yummies like Ludotruck fried chicken, Let's Be Frank hot dogs and free flatbread, wine and coffee.


If you're in need of a blog break, this is a great way to unplug and unwind. Get your tickets here (buy before Friday and it's only $5.)


Slake Issue 3 Celebration
Atwater Crossing
3245 Casitas Ave.
Los Angeles, CA

0 comments:

Get updates via RSS