Notes and Notices

On art, architecture and design

8/06/2011

Around LACMA

Posted by Carren Jao Pineda |

Tim Burton maybe the hottest ticket in town at the LACMA, but the museum has a lot of offer those unwilling to wander inside for the exhibits.


I found myself hanging out nearby a few days ago and discovered this little garden just before the visitor's area. I've passed by a million times, but never really thought to look right. If I did, I would have seen the inconspicuous entrance to the LACMA gardens.

I had seen an Alexander Calder mobile hanging above the MoMA in New York, but not a kinetic sculpture that doubles as a fountain. The drizzle of water that occasionally hit me was also a nice cool down during the hot summer day.

I couldn't find info on this, but the sculpture almost faded into the background of trees. It feels very 80s though, with its wild zigzag metal and strange amalgamation of shapes.

I first saw this during the Muse Art Walk last April. This yellow string work of art has become less intimidating since then. People were diving into the yellow abyss and having fun, from the looks of it!

A not-so-tiny reminder that Tim Burton is waiting for you inside the LACMA, should you decide to purchase tickets.

LACMA: Los Angeles County Museum of Art
5905 Wilshire Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90036
Phone: 323-857-600

0 comments:

Get updates via RSS