Notes and Notices

On art, architecture and design

7/08/2011

A favorite Dwell on Design memento

Posted by Carren Jao Pineda |

This year, I attended my first Dwell on Design conference. It was an amazing experience, with a lot of things to marvel at. (Check out my posts for Core77 and Dwell to recap.) But by far, the find that gave me most delight was this simple booklet.


Unlike the many pamphlets I was handed on that day, this booklet was made of heavy stock and featured my all-time favorite home in the U.S., the J. Irwin Miller home and garden in Columbus, Indiana. Dwell had commissioned writer and photographer Leslie Williamson to revisit the site and she came back with a treasure trove of photos. Those photos eventually made their way onto the booklet.

I don't think I'll ever get to visit this home or ever purchase a home like this, but whenever I see photos of it, I'm reminded of how far good taste and thought can go turn a house into a home.

The home is beautiful inside and out. It should be. It was conceived by a triumvirate of design professionals at the peak of their careers: Eero Saarinen, Alexander Girard and Dan Kiley. Charles and Ray Eames also contributed some furniture.

I love the beautiful trees with pink blossoms that cover the sleek low-profile home. Inside, my favorite feature is the living room that sinks below the ground. It makes me think of sinking into the couch filled with colorful textile pillows too.


Check out this awesome video by Art Babble:


Find more of the J. Irwin Miller house at the Indianapolis Museum of Art, who is the home's official caretaker.

0 comments:

Get updates via RSS