Notes and Notices

On art, architecture and design

5/15/2011

What happened: LACMA's Muse Art Walk 2011

Posted by Carren Jao Pineda |

...or as I like to think of it, the "awesome Heidi Duckler show I finally got the chance to see."

Art walks are a big thing in Los Angeles. In the Philippines, we don't have yet the density of art galleries, artist studios and museums to be able to pull that off successfully. So, I can frankly say, this is my first experience at such an event.

I was pretty hyped to go what with live murals and site specific performances being touted on the LACMA blog. But, the real hooker for me was that I had sure seats to Heidi Duckler Dance Theatre's "A Gallerina's Guide," a site-specific performance that would soon travel to different museums.

I had no idea what I was in for except that it was multimedia performance with dancers thrown in the mix. After a few minutes wandering LACMA and running into a few site-specific performances, I was half afraid I would only get to see bodies writhing beneath white sheets with projections on them (like the photo below actually taken at the art walk), or people just running around the plaza half-seriously.


I had nothing to fear as it turns out. "A Gallerina's Guide" was an experience AND a pleasure to watch. The performance showed the amount of thought and care that went into the project. Every dance took root in an art movement with names like The Nudes, Land Art and Still Life, but inevitably branched off to become more human and relatable in sometimes laughable and often poignant ways.

I won't give away too many of the details, but if you're looking to finally see the heart in art, make time to catch "A Gallerina's Guide." The performance will be touring in museum's around the nation soon, but better yet, go to their site and ask to be part of their email list to catch their upcoming performances.


Each audience member gets a earpiece that lets them hear the music. Much like the omni-present audio guides in our favorite museums, eh?



Heidi Duckler Theatre is known for their site-specific work and great physicality.



0 comments:

Get updates via RSS