Notes and Notices

On art, architecture and design

5/17/2011

Read: Bossypants

Posted by Carren Jao Pineda |

There is so much on my shelf these days. I don't even know how to start finishing all these books. I'm not even including Sam Lubell's newly published Shulman book here.

Books on my shelf! Where do I get the time?

Despite being swamped, when the library told me my book was available, I dutifully picked it up and hoped I would have enough time to read it. Miraculously, I did! I had fun too, but that shouldn't be any wonder since the book I was reading was authored by Tina Fey, comedienne extraordinaire. Totally un-self-conscious and always coming from the left field, Fey consistently leaves me laughing in spite of myself.

A sneaker upper on my list.

Her book was written much like a 30 Rock episode. There were a lot of anecdotal stories that loosely tied together with bits of wisdom thrown in for good measure. It takes you from Fey's awkward teenage years then moves to her more recent triumphs, all re-told in her signature self-deriding, where-did-that-thought-come-from style.

I started reading the book early in the morning and found myself finishing it by the time the sun set. That's including cooking breakfast and doing household chores mind you.

Though there are many glimpses of wisdom Fey shares, what I found most intriguing were the rules she learned from improv.

I hate improv, really; I don't really consider myself the spontaneous kind of woman, willing to fling herself to the winds (although I have surprised myself on many occasions.) But I have realized that to experience life, I should be willing to take a chance every so often.

Fey's rules fill two pages, but I've edited it down to the barest essentials. To appreciate the rules in all its entirety, please pick up the book or borrow it from your library. So without further ado, here's my favorite part of her book:

The Rules of Improvisation That Will Change Your Life and Reduce Belly Fat*
  • The first rule of improvisation is AGREE. Start with a YES and see where that takes you.
  • The second rule of improvisation is not only to say yes, but YES, AND (meaning don't be afraid to contribute)
  • The next rule is MAKE STATEMENTS. In other words: Whatever the problem, be part of the solution.
  • THERE ARE NO MISTAKES, only opportunities.
*improv will not reduce belly fat.

Buy Tina Fey's Bossypants here.

0 comments:

Get updates via RSS