Notes and Notices

On art, architecture and design

4/29/2011

Picture This: One last look at KCET on Sunset

Posted by Carren Jao Pineda |

Well, the deal is sealed. The oldest still-in-use studio in Hollywood, which KCET now occupies, will be sold to the Church of Scientology "for the expansion of the Church of Scientology’s production of religious and social betterment audiovisual properties."

The news made the rounds a couple of days ago, so I don't need to repeat any more info. No one quite knows what will happen to the historic property, but it's rumored Gensler will be working on upgrading it. In the meantime, here are my shots of the KCET lot when I last left it. Curious to know more about its history? Here's a recording of Steve Proffitt taking us through the lot's history on the Madeleine Brand Show.

I suppose this sign will have to go.

This sculptural garden was built like a sundial. I don't know if that's what it was, but it was cool to look at.

I'm told this brick structure is part of the historically protected lot.

This biker seems to have everything figured out, lounging in the sun waiting for his call time (?)

Care to see some cool historical photos of KCET? I found this site showing the old Monogram and Colorvision studios.
Photo credits: Carren Jao

0 comments:

Get updates via RSS