Notes and Notices

On art, architecture and design

4/04/2011

Free tom: Airports and our way of life

Posted by Carren Jao Pineda |


One of my earliest memories as a child was being in an airport, then crisscrossing the Pacific. While I know that my carbon footprint is probably more humungous than most, I also know that my life today is what it is because of the opportunities of global travel airports and airplanes have provided.


Finally, someone has put their finger on the same concept. Tomorrow, the Architecture and Design Museum will be hosting a talk with business journalist Greg Lindsay and architecture blogger Geoff Manaugh on the book, Aerotropolis: The Way We'll Live Next.

Taking from the A+D museum's invite:
Aerotropolis is a book about what the world's cities will look like as they are designed (or re-designed) according to the logic of globalization.
Of course, judging from the title, it's cities (and consequently, a world) defined by airports, shipping hubs and business districts. I'm already starting to see a little of that in the world today, it makes me wonder what will come of it decades from now.

5 April, Tues, 6-9 pm
Admission: Free
RSVP: rsvp@aplusd.org

Architecture + Design Museum
6032 Wilshire Blvd. LA
323-932-9393

0 comments:

Get updates via RSS