Notes and Notices

On art, architecture and design

1/12/2011

Free this Sat: Building a school garden

Posted by Carren Jao Pineda |

Instead of piecing together a Lego Architecture model (although that could be fun too), bond with a few fellow Angelenos while building, painting and planting an LAUSD modular school garden inspired by the game Four Square (the game, not the app). Read here for a backgrounder.

While I have yet to build this school garden, I can already anticipate a lot of sweat, but perhaps memorable conversation in between breaks as well. Before I left the Philippines, I was lucky enough to be dragged out of bed by a friend who wanted to help build homes with non-profit Gawad Kalinga. Yes, I did sweat a lot lugging a large paint roller over a small home's facade, but I also got a chance to exchange some alternately deep and superfluous conversations with close friends. Believe me, you haven't bonded until you've done it over (happy) manual labor.


Build a School Garden with GOOD and LAUSD
Saturday, January 15, 8 am to 3 pm

28th Street Elementary School
2807 Stanford Avenue, Los Angeles, 90011

0 comments:

Get updates via RSS