Notes and Notices

On art, architecture and design

1/21/2011

Cheap usually: Natural History Museum

Posted by Carren Jao Pineda |

Yesterday, I got a special treat as the Natural History Museum unveiled its soon-to-be dinosaur centerpiece. I have to admit that I'm not usually a dinosaur kind of girl, but I did appreciate the way these archeologists were able to bring life to a usually (and literally) dead subject.

The Natural History Museum was able to showcase the dynamic growth of T. rex's along a 20-year span by re-articulating the bones of a 10-foot baby, a sub-adult and a 30-foot T. rex. Nope. The bones didn't just stand side by side, they were posed dramatically you could say. The result was a more intriguing exhibit that made me take a second look at what was going on.

Wouldn't want any of these T. rexes fighting over my flesh!

On top of that, I also got to spend some time outside of the dinosaur exhibition to appreciate some other great things happening at the museum. Take a look!

The 1913 Beaux Arts exterior is still something quite beautiful to see. Their expanding the front steps, as you can see from the platform.

Isn't that eagle so American?

I'm sure these three ladies have inspired a drove of visitors. (The Natural History Museum's Three Muses).

But if visitors look up, they'll also find a little inspiration from above.

Outside NHM's painter and all around handyman buffs the flagpoles, restoring them to its original sheen. He says, the flagpoles have been greenish since he was a kid. It's only now they're getting around to giving them a buffing.

The Fin Whale passage fills the room with eerie music, which can either be calming or creepy, depending on who you're asking. Trust me, I have polled.


The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County
Admission: $9
January 7, 5:30-10 pm

900 Exposition Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90007
Phone: (213) 763-DINO

2 comments:

Get updates via RSS