Notes and Notices

On art, architecture and design

12/30/2010

A new year in LA!

Posted by Carren Jao Pineda |

When I first moved to Los Angeles, I was little more than passing wanderer. I knew nothing of LA's story, only the clues it leaves behind in Hollywood movies and occasional news stories. But, as always, seeing LA from a resident's eyes brings new perspective.

In the six months I've been here, I have found a bit of what keeps dreamers coming to the city's (mostly) eternally sunny skies.

I found myself mesmerized by the city's natural landscape (the metropolitan lights that twinkle back at me while zigzagging through the canyons, the way the mountains hug the valley, the punctuating row of palm trees that sprout on the foreground of amazingly blue skies, or the myriad of colors the sky morphs into when the sun sets) and the layered stories of its built environments.
Sunset at the Griffith Observatory

Inside the Bradbury Building, the oldest building in downtown

I've come to know a little of the city's history, from sleepy Native American settlement, to Mexican pueblo, Spanish rancho and finally the megalopolis it is.

Most of all, I've come to find new friends: creative souls whose endeavors become thrill rides, video games, art installations, public spaces and published pieces.

Our international thanksgiving!

I doubt I'll ever truly find out everything about Angeleno, the city constantly changes (as I've found out while reading Glen Creason's Los Angeles in Maps), but the attempt is still well worth it. See you all in the new year!

Photo credit: Carren Jao

0 comments:

Get updates via RSS