Notes and Notices

On art, architecture and design

11/16/2010

Free this Thurs: Maira Kalman at Skirball Center

Posted by Carren Jao Pineda |


As most of you would know, I'm a wordsmith but I love visual art as well. That's why when an illustrated version of Strunk and White's Elements of Style came up, I headed to the bookstore to get it.


My purchase proved to be very useful, especially in Magazine Editing class where we would be routinely quizzed on style. I did pretty well, if I say so myself. I think it was due to Maira Kalman's beautiful, off-beat illustrations. You can find more here.

Strunk and White's Illustrated Elements of Style is the reason why I'm happy to see Maria Kalman: Various Illuminations (of a Crazy World), the first survey of Kalman's work at a museum. The exhibition showcases Kalman's designs for M&Co, The New Yorker and an illustrated blog for The New York Times. Also on display are original works on paper covering thirty years of illustration and lesser known works in photographs, textiles and performance. According to the release, Kalman installed "many tables of many things" presumably to spark our own out-of-the-box creativity. If her exhibition is anything like Kalman, we're all in for a treat.

Watch Kalman's TED talks video below to see what I mean.



Skirball Cultural Center
November 17 through February 13, 2011
Admission: Free on Thursdays

2701 N. Sepulveda Blvd.,
Los Angeles, CA 90049
Phone (310) 440-4500

Illustration credit: Maria Kalman

0 comments:

Get updates via RSS