Notes and Notices

On art, architecture and design

9/22/2010

Around Town: UCLA Quad

Posted by Carren Jao Pineda |

When I found an excuse to go to UCLA, I made sure not to forget my camera. Though the last time I was on campus was about ten years ago, I never forgot that idyllic landscape. One easy bus ride took me from the hot pavement of the Valley down to the verdant greens of Westwood.

I went in search of beautiful buildings and I found them. Modeled after Milan's Basilica of Sant'Ambrogio, Royce Hall and Powell Library stand face to face separated by a garden of green grass. Though the buildings were built in the Italian Romanesque Revival style, their color palettes reminded me of Moorish architecture like the interior of Mezquita, Cordoba.

Nonetheless, the pristine orange and cream hallways for me perfectly reflected the idealism and boundless energy of the people that constantly walked across the UCLA campus.



Powell Library, one of the four buildings that comprised the original UCLA campus

Royce Hall, another one of the four buildings that comprised the original UCLA campus. It now houses UCLA Live, a premier concert hall that has hosted the likes of George Gershwin, Duke Ellington, Arnold Schoenberg and Jimmy Dorsey’s Band.


Don't you love arches that go on forever?


Mezquita, Cordoba interior. I think it was the lines and the color palette that set off bells in my head. It's similar right?

Make the most out of your UCLA trip, catch a show at UCLA Live in Royce Hall as well. :) Here's the schedule.

UCLA Royce Hall and Powell Library
340 Royce Drive,
Los Angeles, CA 90095

0 comments:

Get updates via RSS